As well as being unsightly, black mould – usually found in the corners of rooms, near windows, or at other “cold spots” – has been linked to a number of health conditions.  If left unchecked, it can cause serious damage, perhaps even structural.  Even if it is regularly treated with a proprietary spray, the spores will remain and unless the underlying problem is solved, it will always return.

Health Problems from Mould

Health problems from exposure to mould in the home include:

  • respiratory problems.  You’re more likely to suffer from these if you have mould in your home.
  • respiratory infections, such as colds, chest infections, and occasionally more serious issues such as pleurisy and pneumonia
  • allergies, including skin rashes and sinus problems
  • asthma
  • mould produces allergens, irritants and can produce other toxic substances.

Babies, the elderly, and people with a pre-existing condition or weakened immune system are most likely to suffer as a result of mould.

Black mould is caused by high humidity and lack of ventilationWhat causes mould?

Mould is caused by too much moisture in the air for too long.  This causes condensation, often in corners or behind furniture.  Mould can grow in these damp conditions.  Moisture in the home comes from a variety of sources:

  • cooking, particularly boiling
  • baths and showers
  • drying clothes – particularly on clothes racks indoors

How can I prevent mould?

Ensure adequate ventilation in your home.  Make sure that the extractor fan in your bathroom is working as it should – if necessary, get a Flow Rate Test done by a PEATA-registered contractor.